Thank you for reading the January edition of WCIS magazine. The content in the first quarter is focused on Growth and Sustainability in the industrial sectors of manufacturing, agriculture, and food processing.
In this issue, you will find information and resources for these industries as we enter the new decade. Manufacturers should re-evaluate makerspaces and how they can be used to foster innovation and help grow the pool of skilled workers. Agriculture in a post-drought California must adapt to the enforcement of regulations with the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)—we visited with Fresno State’s Center for Irrigation Technology at their Water, Energy, and Technology Center to see how entrepreneurs and students are seeking to address the needs of growers in meeting these regulations. The Conversation outlines how trade unions could be the key to fighting the current climate crisis. Safe Food Alliance addresses regulations for Maximum Residue Limits, also known as Food Tolerances. Lastly, we review presentations made by experts at the Central Valley’s First Annual Safety and Maintenance Expo.
Our goal is to connect industry professionals with each other, along with the latest news and resources available to thrive and grow this new year. Feel free to connect with us on social media, where we give updates on industry events—we attend over 20 trade shows a year! Or on our website, where we host these articles as blog posts with more in-depth and behind the scenes photos and soundbites from interviews contained in this issue.
If you missed our past event in October 2019, we will be hosting our second annual trade show: 2020 Safety Expo in Food & Facilities, September 17, 2020 at the Clovis Veterans Memorial District in Clovis, CA. Speaking slots are open if you would like to provide training to industry professionals in agriculture, food and beverage, food processing, and manufacturing. Or join us as an exhibitor by May 25, 2020 to receive $100 off your booth cost, as well as a complimentary business card sized advertisement (a $525 value) in the July-September 2020 quarterly issue. Contact us today if you are interested or browse our advertising options on our website.
- Four Takeaways from the 2019 Safety and Maintenance Expo
- COMPANY PROFILE: United Health Centers of the San Joaquin Valley
- The Basics of Food Tolerances and Maximum Residue Limits
- Unions Can – and Will – Play a Leading Role in Tackling the Climate Crisis
- Innovations in Irrigation for SGMA Compliance Ease: Fresno State #AgTechDay Showcase
- Makerspaces— Revolutionizing Manufacturing and Revitalizing the Workforce
- Innovation – Emerging Agribusiness Technologies
- Profile – McCann Asset Management
- Finance – Get Ready: Blockchain Will Transform the Legal Industry
- Finance – Economics of Legalizing Cannabis – Pricing and Policing are Crucial
- Ethics – Reclaiming lost calories: Tweaking photosynthesis boosts crop yields
- Safety – Blockchain: What is it and does it live up to the hype?
- Safety – Organic food health benefits have been hard to assess, but that could change
- Explore – Review: Authentic Southern Food in California
- Explore – Review: Evening Events in the Valley